Friday, June 8, 2012

Astra Mixte - curved seat stays

My wife and I are interested in a mixte for commuting and perhaps another for hauling the boys.  We are scanning Craigslist and ebay for an inexpensive mixte that we won't worry about riding in the rain and leaving outside for 8 or 9 hours.  The boy hauler might be something newer or new.  I generally like the Linus Mixte but haven't had a chance to test ride one yet.  I also asked an LBS for a quote on a Soma Buena Vista built up with Shimano 105 components but never heard back from them.  A Soma may or may not be in the cards for us.

When you are looking for something, similar things seem to appear everywhere and that's been true of mixte frames.  This one, cleaned up, illustrates what we are looking for, although flat bars might be preferred.  The interesting thing about this old French Astra are the curved twin seat stays top tubes/seat stays.  I can't say I love the lines of the frame but it does seem to make it easier to get on.  I wonder if there is any loss in strength from having the stays attached to the seat tube lower than a standard mixte (if there is such a thing).  Does anyone know if this is the case?


No comments:

Post a Comment