Friday, February 14, 2014

More web maps

I'm going on a field trip this spring and was looking at new tools for putting maps on the web using Blogger.  I had used Google Fusion Tables for MG's coffeeneuring challenge.  Fusion Tables worked well, with my blog hosting the maps and MG editing them.  We will be using GPS units for collecting data on this trip, producing GPX files and, in some instances, KML files using other collection tools (think AppInventor and Fulcrum).  I was already familiar with Mapbox and I was recently reminded of it when a friend took a job there so I looked at it for this purpose.  I dumped the GPX files from the Ride Studio Cafe Highpoint trip and loaded them into a new map.  It was a breeze.  There are several distinct GPX files because of my unfamiliarity with the Garmin 200 that I was using but it appears as a single line here.  The map is great and took less than 5 minutes to make.  Zoom into the Greylock area and the climb out of the Deerfield River near Florida, MA to see the biggest climbs of the trip.  Zoom in too far and you lose the contour lines in the Google Map terrain background.





I found this picture of several of the riders on Ride Studio Cafe Flickr feed.  It's nice to remember the summer right now. The group after flying down Greylock: 

No comments:

Post a Comment