Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A classic right hook

I was driving back from Boston on Sunday with a friend and both of us noticed all of the bikes en route.  It was dark so I was curious to see how well lit and otherwise visible the cyclist were, as I wonder if I will commute past the end of Daylight Savings Time.  I was driving so I didn't have time to do a thorough assessment but I did have to pay a lot of attention to cyclists that I passed or was passed by (usually the former at that hour).  What we did see, my friend better than me, was a cyclist who was just right hooked by a car.  The driver of the small truck, which was traveling towards Boston, was taking a right off of Hampshire onto a side street near Windsor.  The rider was up with a decent crowd of people who appeared to be helping, or maybe were witnesses to what just occurred.  I couldn't tell if the rider had lights or not (following on the Boston Globe's bad habit, I will mention that she did wear a helmet) but I can say that all of the riders that I saw, well lit or not, were easily visible.  Passing a rider and then taking a right turn and cutting them off in those conditions seems like either the driver wasn't paying attention or doesn't notice bikes, which amounts to not paying attention.  I hope the rider is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment