Sunday, May 13, 2012

Crossing the Merrimac

Going north into New Hampshire has one significant stumbling block, the Merrimac River.  Depending on where your destination is, your crossings are limited to 2 urban areas, Lowell and Lawrence. The Rourke Bridge route is my usual choice although the approach is more urban than I prefer.  The difficulty is in the bridge, which is temporary, as is the next bridge to the northwest.  That's a shame since these temporary bridges have been in place for some time.  The last time I rode over the bridge the traffic was quite intense.  Rather than taking up the roadway under those conditions, I chose to take the sidewalk, which was a tunnel of fencing canted out from the bridge on small I-beams.  It was a strange experience:


No comments:

Post a Comment