Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Conway, Shelburne Falls, Ashfield

This hilly loop is worth your time and effort. The route first descends to the Deerfield River at Bardwell Ferry then ascends through bucolic farm country to Route 2. Food is available in Buckland (across the river from Shelburne Falls) at McCusker's Market. The ascent to Ashfield is moderate, although there are steeper options. I have done this loop several times. This version is from 2004 when I rode with my then boss. He was having a hard time of it - he refused to drink enough (it was a cold day) and cramped up. The descent from Ashfield back to the car can be fast. In the 2004 version, my then boss drafted me and we made great time after we stopped at friends' house and tanked up on water. Traffic usually is light on this section of Route 116 earlier in the day.

The Bardwell Ferry Bridge is worth riding these hills to see in person.

Bike: Lemond Alpe D'Huez 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment