Sunday, May 1, 2016

Not quite 30 days of riding in April

There is a pledge you can sign is to let the world know that you intend to ride your bike for 30 days in April.  Besides being a good idea, it's also a fund raiser for World Bicycle Relief.  I didn't pledge because I knew that guaranteeing to ride every day in a month would be difficult, especially on weekends when my free time is often committed to my kids.  But I did do my best to get on my bike in April.  Besides getting out on one or more of my bikes on 20 days, I also rode all three of my bikes:
  • Four road rides on my IF (131 miles)
  • Three commutes on my 3 speed bike (27 miles)
  • One off road ride on Surly (45 miles) and Thirteen commutes on it (185 miles)
That's almost 400 miles last month.  While I didn't win any competitions, I feel like I got out as much as I could, given my other commitments. I rode to work most days and somehow I don't feel all that much of fair weather cyclist anymore.  That said, a hard rain as I'm about to leave my house may give me pause.

Thinking of fair weather cycling, I remember the one time my wife and I rode the King's Tour of the Quabbin.  This was in 2002 or 2003.  We were coaxed into going by a friend who apparently checked the weather forecast and didn't show up.  We headed out with far too little foul weather gear for the weather we encountered.  My wife had a light fleece jacket and I had a short sleeve polypro shirt under my jersey.  The rain started around 20 miles into the ride.  We made it to the turn around in the rain and simply turned around and headed towards our car.  I don't remember all that much from the ride except for the cars passing us and spraying water from the puddles onto us.  I also remember finishing and trying to get to the car to change into dry clothes while I was chilled to the bone.  It was a miserable experience that would have been easier to take if I carried the gear that we needed (and left at home).  But I'm pretty sure that a ride like that would have been less than pleasant with any gear.  That may be part of why I call myself a fair weather cyclist.  And I'm not ashamed of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment