Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dynamo hubs

I have been thinking about getting a dynamo hub lighting system and found some decent resources:

Perhaps the best in a web site by a writer from the Netherlands.  I found his reviews to be the most complete  and fact based around.  He pays attention to email and was generous, humble, and clear in his response.  He sells some products, in particular the SP hubs, which I hadn't known about previously.  While he sells the SP hubs, he is not afraid to praise brands he does not sell.

I also appreciated Peter White.  His web site is filled with useful information, if sometimes a bit hard to find.  He is slow to give detailed responses to email but was generous in his time on the phone.  I'd love to check out his shop and see his lighting demos.

I thought that Harris Cyclery was very helpful.  I spoke with Elton, who I believe builds up their custom projects.  Elton gave a pretty rational and unbiased assessment of the difference between the high end Shimano hubs and the Schmidts.

I appreciated Gravel Bike's review of the Shimano DH-3N80 hub.

I'm not sure what I will do yet but it has been fun learning about modern dynamo hubs.


No comments:

Post a Comment